4.27.2011

Omission is betrayal

The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books is this weekend (30 April - 1 May). Like any good festival of books, or like any good LA Times, they give prizes. Here are the categories:

Robert Kirsch Award (from what I gather, this is sort of like a lifetime achievement award)
Innovator's Award
Biography
Current Interest
Fiction
Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction
Graphic Novel
History
Mystery/Thriller
Poetry
Science & Technology
Young Adult Literature

All right, so look over that list and tell me what is missing. . . .

Yes, that's right: Science Fiction & Fantasy. They have Mystery/Thriller and they don't have Science Fiction & Fantasy. They have Graphic Novel, for crying out loud, and they don't have Science Fiction & Fantasy. It's an outrageous omission, I tell you.

I am not going to the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books this year. I am boycotting the event. (Plus, I have to work.)

3 comments:

Megan said...

what happened to my comment?? Did you delete it?

Megan said...

Well I can't remember everything I said, but I think I was also appalled that mystery/thriller gets its own category. Of all the categories under fiction, why that particular one? If you're going to be like that, why not just have adult fiction and ya fiction? I dunno. It's weird. At least romance doesn't have its own category. I think then I'd be really thrown.

If you didn't have to work would you still boycott the festival?

Janeite42 said...

Probably not, but only because I wanted to get a few books signed.