11.24.2011

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Wow, it's been half a year since I've updated my blog, and yet it seems like it's only been six months. I've been doing book-related things, though -- book signings, visits to famous libraries, the World Fantasy Convention -- and I will, for good or ill, share them here.

Most recently, I was in Utah for the release party of Brandon Sanderson's Alloy of Law. (I haven't read it yet; I have to finish two other books first.)


Naturally, Megan went with me. She's great company and we had fun playing Authors and eating snax. It was also nice to see Brandon Sanderson again.


While I was at Megan's house, Nathan came up to me and said, "Grandma, can we go to Barnes & Noble?" I tell you, someone is raising him right. Anyway, that reminds me: December 3 is "Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day". It's a new "day", and you can read about it here. I think it's a wonderful idea and I hope everyone participates, whether you take your own child, a grandchild, niece, nephew, brother, sister, godchild, whatever.


On 13 November, I celebrated Robert Louis Stevenson's birthday. That's kind of an annual thing for me. When the kids were little, I'd make shortbread and everyone would read a poem by RLS. I enjoyed it. This year, again, it was just Gary and I, so I read a poem to myself ("Windy Nights", my favorite) and shared the shortbread with him. I'm planning ahead for Jane Austen's birthday, though, when we'll be in Utah again, and can have a proper celebration.


I continue to attend my book groups, although I had to miss the RS book group because of a conflict. At the Library book group, though, I finally got a chance to use some of those leftover Dracula teeth I mentioned before. We were discussing Bram Stoker's Dracula, so it was a perfect opportunity to bring along a few sets of teeth.


Finally, I came across a book a few weeks ago, about Greek history and art and so forth, and on the cover was this statue:


The description inside said the Greeks used to make these depictions of humans with big eyes to show their awe when they looked upon the gods. But I think it's just a precursor of steampunk:


Seems pretty obvious to me.

Well, there's lots more to tell about, but it'll have to wait. I've got to catch up on my reading.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You can take *me* to the bookstore, I'm your child! But only if I get a free prize.
PS my word is "hoofin." I just think that's funny.

Megan said...

Ok first of all, that face is freaky. Yes, I can see the goggles, but holy dang are those eyes freaky. I mean that's just way beyond anime-freaky!

Anyway, I enjoy going to that stuff with you. Sometimes I wish it wasn't in the middle of the night. I'd say at least having at that time roots out the riff raff... but it doesn't.

I suppose I'll take my children to a bookstore on December 3rd. I dread the stress that taking three small children anywhere entails, but it's not like I can just stop taking them anywhere until they're of a certain age!

I forgot to celebrate Robert Louis Stevenson's birthday this year (again). I vow to do it next year. Or maybe I'll just do it late and still do it. When is Jane Austen's birthday?

My word is lobilly. It reminds me of something.